Saturday, October 10, 2020

Young coconut water

I noticed the benefits of fresh young coconut water during my trip to one of Thailand's beach some years ago. I was reading a magazine while doing foot massage, before a full body massage and an article wrote about how drinking young coconut juice helps with muscle recovery. I drank fresh young coconut juice after massage everyday during that short 3 to 5 days trip then and was pleasantly surprised at the effects it had on my body. I usually would feel muscles ache from a massage but I did not have any aches although I went for massage daily, and did snorkelling. I also did not suffer from any mouth ulcers or sore throat although we had a lot more barbecued and spicy food that I would back home. 

Years later, I read about the beneficial effects of coconut juice in muscle recovery after strenous sports or exercise by replacing electrolytes and potassium in our body. I was cycling more at that time and without any gradual training nor warm up (not recommended), there was once that my legs ached so much during the cycling that I could hardly move them. And then, I took some fresh coconut juice. The effects were immediate, and soreness in the muscles almost completely disappeared and I could even stretch my legs without much discomfort. Since then, I have been using coconut juice to replace electrolytes and ions during or after strenous workout - keeping to one or at most two cups weekly if really needed. This is because this drink is rather cooling (in TCM terms) and thus not recommended to be taken on a daily basis for prolonged period, especially for body constitution that is weaker and lack heat (energy) or if you have any pre-existing health or heart conditions. Moreover, it has very high amounts of potassium so might not be suitable to be consumed together with other food that are also high in potassium,  e.g. banana, unless you have too low levels of potassium in your body at that time. In either case, moderation is still key and it is probably wise to check with a professional on the underlying reasons or causes. 

I have tried both fresh and packet coconut juice with quite good effects. I prefer young coconut juice if it is available. I also get small packet so that I can finish it - it does not stay fresh for long if left outside, in Singapore's weather. And I share one small packet with my husband if we are out for longer cycling or hiking trips, keeping our main hydration to plain water.

To summarise, I use coconut juice as a natural source of replenishing electrolytes in the body during or after a strenous workout but do not take them more than needed. I try to keep it to half or just one cup weekly or none. Water is still my major form of rehydration. Coconut water (or juice) is a good and natural source of potassium which helps muscles relax but we need a balance of all ions in the body for optimal functions so moderation is key. My blood pressure is on the low side so I can't have too much potassium as well. 

Enjoy the drink!

Note of caution: This is not a substitute for professional care. Always check with your doctor before changing your diet especially if you are on any medications or have preexisting medical or health conditions. 

Read more on coconut juice here.

Do check out the recipe on warming breakfast if you do feel cold easily (like myself). 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Banana Oat Omelette with raisins, dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds

  Prep Time: 10 mins.    Baking time: 27 mins    Servings : 3 to 4 pax. Method: Bake with Air fryer.  Ingredients Coconut Oil x 1.5 table s...